level 1 level 2 intermediate advanced vhf / src first aid
taster course refresher course night course own boat
skippered bareboat solent treasure hunts commercial charter

Rib Charter

Why RYA Courses?

There are many reasons why people choose RYA training:

Can you instruct me on my own boat?

Yes - we can instruct you on your boat, providing that the boat is suitable for the course being undertaken and is insured, the owner remains responsible for his boat. Pricing for own-boat tuition is comprised of the instructor's fee plus an additional fee per student.

Is there a limit to how many people will be on one course?

The maximum student/instructor ratio for each course is displayed on the individual course information page. For most courses this is 2 or 3 students to 1 instructor. This applies regardless of whether the course is undertaken in your own boat or one of the school's boats for RYA courses.

What else do I need to be aware of if I'm doing a course in my own boat?

You should ensure that the boat is insured, and you must also provide fuel at your own cost. The boat should be fully fuelled up before the course starts. If the boat is fitted with a VHF radio you should ensure that the appropriate licence from OfCOM is held for the set. We require sight of appropriate insurance, licences, etc. we, together with the owner will make the decision as to whether the boat is considered seaworthy and suitable for the course being undertaken in the conditions on the day.

Do I have to start at the bottom?

It is possible to enter into the Powerboat training scheme at any point – you do not have to start at the bottom and complete each course to progress to the next rung, however if you have little or no experience you will need to start at the beginning. Both the one-day RYA Powerboat Level 1 course and the two-day RYA Powerboat Level 2 course are designed as introductory courses, although the Level 2 course is the most common entry point to the scheme for adults and is the basis of obtaining an ICC for use of small boats on the continent.

It is certainly possible to start at a higher level, but this should only be considered by those with experience The most important thing is not to over-reach yourself; it is very demoralising to start a course only to realise that you have come in at too advanced a level. We will obviously do all we can to get you up to speed, and will let you know as soon as possible if we have concerns about your level of experience for a course, but ultimately you may not achieve the certificate you are after if you start a course with an inadequate level of knowledge or experience. If you're not sure where to start call us for a chat or email us to discuss your your personal situation.

How do I get an ICC?

The International Certificate of Competence is documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in something called Resolution 40 (a UN resolution affecting some European waters). It is not a qualification, but is accepted in lieu of a qualification in some countries which require boat users to be qualified. The type of ICC needed depends on the type of boat you plan to use abroad. To use a power driven vessel up to 10 metres you can use a powerboat Level 2 certificate to apply to the RYA for an ICC. For larger motor boats the minimum is a Day Skipper power certificate. Alternatively you can take an ICC test for either discipline – call or email us for more details.

Do I need an ICC for UK waters?

No – the UK is unusual in that we don’t require leisure users to have any formal training, instead encouraging owners and users to seek their own training; accordingly the UK has some of the best marine leisure training available in the world, and also one of the best safety records. If you wish to hire a rib or other boat in the UK the minimum qualification required will be PBL2, it will also possibly be necessary to undertake a short assessment to ensure that the hirer is confident of your ability to handle the particular craft. An introduction to the particular boat and handover can then be arranged.

What do I need to bring with me for my course?

Have a look at the course details for the specific course you are booked on. For powerboat courses remember you are in an open boat - the temperature on the water is always a layer of clothing colder than on land. We provide waterproofs and a lifejacket, but don’t provide waterproof footwear so it is probably a good idea to bring boots or a change of shoes or preferably boots, if it looks wet or windy. During winter courses it is necessary to bring gloves, hats, etc. There are showers and changing facilities in the marina if required, so you are welcome to bring a change of clothes for after your course.

Can I bring my own waterproofs and lifejacket?

Of course! The only thing we ask you ensure your lifejacket is in good condition. We may ask you to wear one of our lifejackets if the condition of your lifejacket is in any doubt. It must be a lifejacket rather than a buoyancy aid for powerboat courses or charters in our ribs.

Why do I need to bring a passport photo with me?

For certain courses such as the Short Range Certificate (VHF/DSC) course, Powerboat Level 2 and Advanced course, the certificate that is issued is a photo certificate, and therefore we can’t process them without your photo. The nearest passport photo facility to our training centre is in Ryde, approximately 15 minutes drive away, if the course is taken from our home base in Bembridge we can take an appropriate photograph and print for you at a nominal charge.